The Accounting Associate – Western Sugar Division will be responsible for the accounting of the Vancouver refinery, primarily. In addition, the Accounting Associate – Western Sugar Division will work closely with the Controller – Western Sugar Division to assist in the accounting, inventory costing, budgeting/forecasting, planning and analysis for the Vancouver refinery as well as the Taber factory.
- Responsible for the month-end/year-end accounting for the Vancouver refinery, including the preparation of period-end journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and assisting the Controller – Western Sugar Division in variance analysis.
- Prepare monthly inventory reconciliation for the Vancouver Operations, tracking all inventory costing and quantities (i.e. raw material, work in progress, finished goods, spare parts, packaging and operating materials) and assist in periodical and year-end inventory counts.
- To work closely with the Purchasing Department and/or Supply Chain departments to validate issuances of packaging materials (i.e. quantity and cost) and question variances.
- Go to person for accounting related questions at the Vancouver refinery.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to optimize the primary ERP system, data and processes.
- Assist the Controller – Western Sugar Division in the year-end inventory count.
- Assist the Controller – Western Sugar Division as needed.
Financial Planning and Analysis:
- Assist in the production of monthly, quarterly, and yearly Western operations financial and management reports, including identify areas of process improvement in financial reporting, KPI development and tracking;
- Assist in the execution of the quarterly forecast and yearly budget for the Western Operations plant costs.
- Monitor and reconcile the budget upload of Vancouver to the ERP system (Navision) as well as helping other location, as needed.
- Assist in providing meaningful analysis for the Western Operations in order to provide insightful analysis and recommendations to optimize financial benefits.
- Support the Production team in various financial analysis.
- Perform financial ad hoc tasks as needed and required.
- Assist the Controller – Western Sugar Division in the planning, forecasting and analysis as required.
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- Bachelor of Commerce, DEC in Accounting or similar, an accounting designation a plus
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a similar type of accounting position
- Good knowledge of Excel and comfortable with information systems (knowledge of Navision an asset).
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Can work well independent, but also a good team player.
- Strong attention to details.
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.