antic, a company that has been around for over 125 years, has become a favorite Canadian brand not only through its products, but also through its people. We believe that the main ingredient in our success is our people.
We are currently looking for an Agriculturist to join our growing team!
WHAT WE OFFER:
Competitive salaries and benefits
Pension plan with equivalent contribution from the company
Supplementary health insurance and dental care
Life insurance and accident insurance
Personal account for social benefits
Share purchase plan
Employee assistance program
- Regulate Sugar Beet Production by contracting grower, distributing seeds, measuring fields, enforcing contracted acreage, reporting crops, and producing statistics.
- Convey research data to growers (i.e., new sugar beet production practices).
- Assist growers in developing a fertility program to increase sugar beet yield and quality and provide herbicide recommendations, while monitoring fields for insect levels.
- Prepare presentations for and assist in the coordination of annual Grower information seminars.
- Develop and maintain grower relations throughout the year.
- Manage Sugar Beet Storage/Pile and coordinate the building of sugar beet storage piles.
- Monitor pile temperatures and physical appearance to localize problem areas within the storage piles and consult with Agricultural Superintendent to take appropriate action
- Develop and ensure employee Orientation, Training, and Supervision.
- Work with the Agriculture Recruiter to staff the receiving stations for the Harvest season.
- Train and monitor staff in standard operating procedures and safe work practices, including new employee orientation.
- Monitor employee activities continuously to ensure company policies and procedures are being followed.
- Maintain grower records by collecting, compiling and entering a variety of crop-related data (Production records, pesticide usage, cropping rotation, fertility information, harvest data, etc.).
- Prepare for next season by performing drill and sprayer nozzle testing.
- Work closely with the company’s Site Safety Coordinator to ensure compliance with Occupational Health & Safety policies and practices and ensure safe work practices are being followed.
- Perform a variety of administrative functions required by the position.
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- Post-Secondary education in Agriculture, or a suitable combination of education and experience.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License.
- Knowledge of Beet processing (an asset).
- Experience in a unionized environment (an asset).
- A farm background combined with knowledge of plant and soil science would be a definite asset.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office.
- Efficient, organized, ability to manage several projects and teams and competing priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions and quickly adapt to changing situations.
- Skills at taking initiative, working with little supervision and developing a team environment.
- Ability to handle pressure.
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 kgs.