Lantic Inc., (Rogers Sugar) is the leading refiner, processor, distributor and marketer of sugar products in Western Canada. The company has a sugar beet processing facility in Taber, Alberta; approximately 40 minutes East of Lethbridge. In Western Canada, the company’s sugar products are marketed primarily under the ‘Rogers Sugar’ trade name. The Taber facility is currently accepting applications the following permanent position of Agriculturist.
During production, the Plant processes 6,000 tons of beets/day. Reporting to the Agricultural Superintendent, the Agriculturist is responsible for providing extension services, crop advisory and agronomic advice to sugar beet growers in the assigned territory; participating in sugar beet production education and general agronomic studies. The Agriculturist is also required to manage a beet receiving station which includes overseeing labour and material budgets as well as the hiring and supervision of seasonal employees.
Regulate Sugar Beet Production
- Grower contracting
- Seed distribution
- Field measuring
- Enforcement of contracted acreage
- Crop reporting
- Production statistics
Extension and Ag Resource Responsibilities
- Conveying research data to growers (ie. new sugar beet production practices)
- Assisting growers in developing a fertility program to increase sugar beet yield and quality and providing herbicide recommendations
- Monitoring fields for insect levels
- Preparing presentations for and assisting in the coordination of annual Grower information seminars
- Developing and maintaining grower relations throughout the year
Sugar Beet Storage/Pile Management
- Coordinate the building of sugar beet storage piles
- Monitor pile temperatures and physical appearance to localize problem areas within the storage piles and consult with Ag Superintendent to take appropriate action
Employee Orientation, Training, Supervision;
- Train and monitor staff in standard operating procedures and safe work practices, including new employee orientation
- Provide ongoing employee supervision where required
- Continuous monitoring of employee activities to ensure company policies and procedures and being followed
- Collect, compile and enter a variety of crop-related data:
- Production records
- Pesticide usage
- Cropping rotation
- Fertility information
- Harvest data – entering information in database
Preparation for Next Season
- Collecting fertility information and crop yields from specific growers
- Drill testing – (sugar beet planter)
- Sprayer nozzle testing
- Preparing for grower production seminars
- Seed ordering for growers
- Seed delivery to satellite warehouses in spring
Safety and Quality Management;
- Work closely with the company’s Site Safety Coordinator to ensure compliance with OH&S policies and practices and ensure safe work practices are being followed
- Complete required data entry, work in applicable computer applications
- Perform a variety of administrative functions required by the position
- Build and monitor beet storage piles is an integral part of the position.
- Develop and maintain relationships with contracted sugar beet growers.
- Work closely with both internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture studies from a recognized institution.
- Previous Agronomy knowledge would be an asset.
- First-Aid certification is recommended.
Knowledge & Experience
- 1-3 years of relevant experience.
- A farm background combined with knowledge of plant and soil science would be a definite asset.
- Intermediate computer ability with good working knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License is mandatory.
- Previous experience working with Kronos time-keeping system would be a definite asset.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, good conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations, manage stress effectively, effective decision making skills.
- Ability to show initiative, work with little supervision and develop a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and multi-task Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Planning and management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of manufacturing/packaging techniques.
- Ability to define a strategy and implement it.
- Conflict management abilities.
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Ability to demonstrate strategic thinking.
- Ability to influence others.
- Has a strong sense of responsibility.
- Results & detail oriented.