Reporting to the Process Superintendent, the By-Products and Yard Supervisor will manage the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the By-Products area of the sugar beet factory including, but not limited to; rail yard, mobile equipment, pulp & pellet loading, pellet plant, molasses, lime rock operations, and external facilities as well as security operations. In addition, the supervisor will oversee permanent and temporary employees. Plan and develop work schedules, equipment usage schedules, expenditure priorities, and submit applicable report.
- Manage the rail cars at their appropriate locations depending on demand and usage and ensure the maintenance of rail tracks, shuttle wagons, etc.;
- Ensure the tracking of incoming and outgoing Boxcars and advising sugar warehouse as well as CP Rail;
- Coordinating incoming and outgoing molasses cars as well as monitor the quality in the tanks and tank integrity;
- Oversee the maintenance of all mobile equipment pertinent to the By-Products/Yard department;
- Manage Compost Area under Environmental regulations-oversee the proper disposal of pulp;
- Track incoming/outgoing lime rock cars, arrange for crews to unload lime rocks cars & coordinate screening of rock;
- Manage SO2 cars as per requirement and demand
- Responsible for the loading of tailing and pulp trucks
- Coordinate the transfer of material to and from material / chemical warehouse;
- Maintain ponds & yard according to AEP Standards; arrange for disposal of waste lime, mud and water; and oversee execution of improvement activities in the ponds;
- Maintain roads and berms as per AEP standards;
- Manage Chemical Storage Shed and distribution to necessary customers;
- Oversee and troubleshoot pellet mill operations + Maintain area organized and clean;
- Provide help in the yard to other departments as needed (water drainage, moving equipment, organizing, etc…) where needed.
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- Completion of Post-Secondary Education in Operations Management/Engineering/Business Administration/Environmental Science;
- Experience in the food industry, process automation, and energy efficiency would be considered (an asset);
- Minimum of 4 years’ of supervisory experience;
- Experience working in a unionized environment would be considered (an asset);
- Knowledge of yard or pond or WWTP operations;
- Ability to perform physical activities;
- Experience driving a loader or forklift or rail car mover (an asset). Forklift or Loader License (an asset).
- Planning and management skills/demonstrates strategic thinking;
- Conflict management abilities and highly organized to tackle a variety of tasks;
- Ability to make sound decisions; influence and motivate others;
- Strong sense of responsibility/results & detail oriented;
- Coaching abilities/ability to engage people according to the company’s mission/values;
- Ability to manage change and varying responsibilities-very proactive-forward thinker.