All Recipes Breakfast & Breads Cinnamon Raisin Scones
Cinnamon Raisin Scones
These raisin scones are ideal for everything from breakfast to dessert. For a tasty crunch, sprinkle granulated sugar over top of the scones just before baking them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 tbsp 1% milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Mix together flour, 2 tbsp sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in raisins.
- Add 3/4 cup milk, stirring with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough (add a little more milk if necessary).
- Press into a ball and knead gently on a floured surface about 10 times.
- Roll dough to 3/4" (2cm) thickness, cut into rounds with a 2.5" (6cm) cutter.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Place 2 tbsp milk in a small bowl and brush each scone with milk.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar over the scones (approximately 1/4 tsp per scone).
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- *To increase the fibre content of these scones, replace 1 cup (250mL) of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour.