- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Lantic Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) halved strawberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) Lantic Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Melt butter in 8-inch (20 cm) seasoned cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Sprinkle sugar into pan; cook for about 4 minutes or until sugar starts to caramelize.
- Add strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice; cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until fruit is softened and juices have thickened.
- Meanwhile, in KitchenAid stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth; stir in vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture in three additions alternately with two additions of milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour over strawberry-rhubarb mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Invert onto serving platter.
- In mixer with whisk attachment, whip cream, icing sugar and vanilla until stiff. Serve with tarte Tatin.
- How to season a cast iron skillet
- Wash a new cast iron skillet in warm soapy water. Rinse and dry.
- Rub the inside of the skillet with about 2 tsp (10 mL) of a neutral oil, such as canola or safflower oil. Remove any excess.
- Invert skillet onto large rimmed baking sheet. Place in 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times.