A wonderful European souvenir that tastes great in any language. I visited Germany many years ago and have delighted family and friends with this delicious cake ever since. Enjoy it warm with your favourite beverage. The aroma provides a wonderful welcome when anyone enters our home.
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Brilliant Yellow Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 5 peeled & sliced Apples
- 2 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Margarine or soft Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Combine sour cream and soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine Topping ingredients (Brilliant Yellow sugar, cinnamon,nutmeg) in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel and slice apples and set aside.
- Combine Flour, Baking Powder and Salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together White Sugar and Margarine/Butter. Add Eggs and Vanilla. Stir in 1/2 of sour cream mixture then 1/2 of flour mixture - mixing well after each addition. Then mix in the other half mixtures one at a time.
- Spoon half of the batter into a greased 9-inch square pan. Place apples over the batter. Sprinkle with 3/4 of the Topping mix. Spoon on remaining batter (don't worry about covering complete top) and sprinkle with remaining Topping mix.
- Bake in 350% oven until tester comes out clean. (Approximately 45 to 60 minutes depending on how juicy the apples are.)
- Be sure to serve it warm for the best enjoyment!