Skip to main content
- 4 cups (1 L) blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Lantic and Rogers Smart Sweetener Blend
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Lantic and Rogers Smart Sweetener Blend
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) natural sliced almonds, roasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In 8-inch (20 cm) cast iron skillet, cook blueberries, sugar and lemon juice over medium heat until saucy. Transfer to oven; bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs with a few larger pea-size pieces.
- Whisk egg with milk; drizzle over flour mixture. Using fork, mix to form ragged dough.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls over hot blueberry mixture. Cover with foil and return to oven; bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil. Sprinkle almonds over top; bake for about 15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked and no longer doughy underneath.
- Serve with whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup.
- If desired, substitute other seasonal fruit, such as blackberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines, plums or cherries for blueberries.