Skip to main content
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lantic Brilliant Yellow Sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 4 1/2 cups (1.125 L) whole milk
- 6 Earl Grey tea bags
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped soft ladyfingers (about 20 ladyfingers)
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) raspberries
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dark chocolate shavings
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch until light.
- In saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk and tea bags until steaming; remove tea bags.
- Whisk some of the hot milk into egg mixture. Return mixture to saucepan; cook, whisking constantly for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla. Let cool. Place plastic wrap directly on surface and let cool completely.
- In KitchenAid stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip cream with remaining vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Layer ladyfingers, custard, raspberries and cream into 1 cup (250 mL) Mason jars. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For a tiramisu-style trifle, omit tea bags. Combine 3 tbsp (45 mL) coffee liqueur with 3 tbsp (45 mL) espresso. Drizzle over ladyfingers. Top each dessert with chocolate shavings and dust with cocoa powder.
- If desired, make the dessert ahead and keep refrigerated until serving.
- If you don’t have Mason jars, make one large trifle in a glass bowl and serve it family-style.