All Recipes Desserts & Frostings Rena's Fruit Crisp
Rena's Fruit Crisp
Sugar takes the tartness out of apples and berries, and enhances the flavour of both fresh and frozen fruit. This recipe was provided by Dr. Rena Mendelson, Professor at Ryerson University.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 cups fresh or frozen fruit sliced*
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal**
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice; add granulated sugar and mix well.
- Stir in fruit and coat evenly.
- Transfer to 9 x 11 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, and cinnamon, and stir with a wire whisk.
- Add melted butter and stir until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Spread dry mixture evenly on top of the fruit.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and juices are bubbling.
- Serve warm with frozen yogurt or low-fat ice cream.
- *Any assortment of fruit such as apples, peaches, and berries can be used.
- ** To add more fibre and healthy fats, mix 2 tbsp of wheat or oat bran and 2 tbsp of ground flax seeds into the oatmeal.