- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) Lantic or Rogers Plantation Raw® Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped strawberries
- *2 round cake pans, 9-inch (1.5 L)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Lantic or Rogers Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750 mL) strawberries, quartered
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C); position rack in centre of oven. Grease two 9-inch (2.5 cm) round cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl and using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before next addition. Beat in vanilla.
- With mixer set to low, alternately add flour mixture in 3 parts with the milk in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour mixture. Scrape down bowl as needed between additions; fold in strawberries.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans; smooth tops. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Transfer to rack; let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Turn out onto rack; let cool completely.
- Filling: Just before serving, beat together whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake on serving plate. Spread half of the filling over cake and top with half of the strawberries. Place remaining cake layer on top. Spread with remaining cream; arrange remaining strawberries on top. Can be refrigerated for up to 1 hour before serving.
- Tip: The cake layers can be made 1 day ahead and stored (unfrosted) in an airtight container, or wrapped tightly and frozen for up to 2 weeks.