French Toast Base:
- 2 loaves of thick sliced bread, cubed (a dense textured bread works best)
- 2 c. blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 7 large eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 c. Rogers Golden Syrup
- 1 c. cold water
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 c. Rogers Sugar Granulated Sugar
- 1 c. blueberries
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 3/4 c. Rogers Sugar Icing Sugar
- Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread half of the cubed bread in an even layer over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Mix together cream cheese, milk and icing sugar until well combined. Mixture should be pourable, but not watery. Add more icing sugar if mixture seems to thin; more milk if not easily spread over bread pieces. Pour mixture evenly over the bread pieces and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Add remaining bread cubes over the top.
- Combine 1 1/2 c. milk, eggs , vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and syrup. Pour the mixture over bread cubes and sprinkle with additional blueberries. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.
- Remove dish from fridge 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake covered for 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the center is set (cooking times may vary due depending on oven).
- To prepare the syrup, in a small saucepan, combine cold water, cornstarch and sugar. Heat mixture on a medium heat until simmering. Add blueberries and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve french toast with warm syrup and whipped cream (optional) for a delicious start to your day.