All Recipes Main Entrees Tomato Zucchini Penne with Pesto
Tomato Zucchini Penne with Pesto
Sugar enhances and balances the strong flavours of basil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese, and reduces the acidity of the tomatoes in this delicious pesto sauce.
- 2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to the package directions until "al dente" (tender but firm).
- Drain well; transfer to larger serving dish.
- In a food processor or blender, combine basil, oil, garlic, and sugar.
- Blend in Parmesan and ricotta into the food processor.
- Place zucchini in a large casserole dish with 1 tbsp of water and microwave for 3 minutes on high, drain.
- Add zucchini, pesto and salt to pasta, toss well.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes.