All Recipes Soups & Salads Thick and Tasty Tomato Soup
Thick and Tasty Tomato Soup
A couple of teaspoons of sugar lowers the acidity of the tomatoes and brightens the colour of this thick and flavourful soup, which can also be used as a marinara sauce for pasta.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (1/2 tbsp dried)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream or 5% cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, stock, water, sugar and vinegar.
- Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Purée soup in saucepan using an immersion blender or by transferring batches to a blender or food processor.
- Return to saucepan, stir in sour cream or cream, season with salt and pepper and simmer until heated.